|Auditions 2011||| Print ||
Auditions for Kennedy Dancers
Inner City Youth Dance Company
The Kennedy Dancers will be holding auditions for its teen Inner City Youth Junior Dance Company Program (ICY). Auditions will be held at The Kennedy Dancers Studio, 79 Central Avenue in Jersey City on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 promptly at 6:30 pm. Students will be auditioning for one of eight full scholarships into the ICY Program for the Fall 2011/Spring 2012 school year. All students must show an interest in furthering their dance education and must have a minimum of two years previous dance training.
The ICY offers a unique opportunity to economically disadvantaged and at-risk youth of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds to train for potential careers in dance, theater, and related support jobs. Teens are trained in tap, ballet, jazz, modern, gymnastics, hip hop and ethnics styles such as Middle Eastern Belly Dance and Latin ballroom. ICY students also get the chance to rehearse and perform annually with The Kennedy Dancers Professional Repertory Company.
Students who receive a full scholarship will be obliged to pay only $100 towards their dancewear and pay for four costumes (for $380) in March. They will be required to attend three days of weekly dance classes after school at the Kennedy Dancers Studio as well as perform in approximately twelve annual performances over the course of the year. Second year students who are over 17 years of age will also have internship options working as assistant teachers or doing clerical work in the studio office.
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT US: (201) 659-2190
Inner City Youth Program Full-Scholarship Criteria
Please accept only when you know
Please call to save a place for the audition.
1. Scholarship ICY students must attend all performances and fundraisers. If you do not, your scholarship will be terminated.
2. Mandatory classes and rehearsals will be after school usually three days a week. Class times usually run from 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm. Some classes might go until 8:30 pm but usually only one night weekly.
3. Scholarship students must pay for recital costumes. $350 covers four costumes. The Kennedy Dancers will lend all necessary costumes beyond the four purchased costumes. The money is due by March 1, 2012.
4. All classes are free. Normally six classes weekly plus rehearsal would cost $3000 per year. Full scholarship students must pay $100 towards their dancewear and shoes. All other dancewear and shoes are paid for by the students themselves.
5. You must attend six classes weekly as assigned by the Director plus Friday rehearsals. This is a gift. Parents and students must please use your schorlarship wisely. If you are out more than three days each semester, your scholarship will be terminated. If you are not doing well in academic classes at your school, do not accept this scholarship. Parents do not take this scholarship lightly. Scholarships are not to be used as a bargaining chip for when your child misbehaves or does poorly in school.
6. Second year students who are over 17 years old will have internship options as assistant teachers, doing clerical work in the studio office, or working backstage during performances.
7. Anyone who chooses to go to college will be assisted in the audition process for college university dance programs.